LilyPond logo

From: Joram Berger
Subject: LilyPond logo
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:35:50 +0100

>> Is
>>   http://lilypond.org/website/pictures/double-lily-modified3.png
>> available at higher resolution (or even as a vector graphic) anywhere?

Hi!

Wouldn't it be a good idea to invent a new/derived LilyPond logo as
vector graphic and perhaps a bit more schematic/abstract (like logos
typically are)?
Something that is recognizable at a very tiny scale (like menu items,
file icons, web favicons or at the footer of slides of a presentation)
and nice to look at on a website, an advertisement, etc.

On the website http://www.lilypond.org/ there are currently three
different examples of similar logos:
1) the favicon is a bit simplistic
2) the icon on the upper left corner where I find the circle (pond?)
   underneath is not necessary
3) the large picture which is good looking and actually shows some
   notes, but is not suitable for smaller forms of a logo

Me personally, I like the lily and I think it would look better without
the green leaves or even a round green lake underneath (like in the
upper left corner of the website). A drawback is the missing association
to music notation. Some note or musical ornament would do that. The
association of a forte-f to Finale or a piano-p to Primus looks quite
nice to me. But that would deviate from LilyPonds history (and there is
no L-dynamic). That's why I would stick to the lily but use one logo for
all sizes.

I don't have the skills to produce professionally looking
vectorgraphics. But I would like to ask if that work would be welcomed
by the community, in case someone did it?

Cheers,
Joram

Just for comparison and reference:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/LilyPond-logo-with-music.png