Re: LilyPond logo

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: LilyPond logo
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 16:31:03 +0100

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Joram Berger <address@hidden> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be a good idea to invent a new/derived LilyPond logo as
> vector graphic and perhaps a bit more schematic/abstract (like logos
> typically are)?

+1.  The problem is who would do this, and what would happen when the
community wouldn't be able to decide wheter it's good or not.

> Something that is recognizable at a very tiny scale (like menu items,
> file icons, web favicons or at the footer of slides of a presentation)

Frescobaldi's "engrave" button has a similar flower, but it's not
really recognizable at small size... My mom asked whether it's an egg
:P

> On the website http://www.lilypond.org/ there are currently three
> different examples of similar logos:
> 1) the favicon is a bit simplistic
> 2) the icon on the upper left corner where I find the circle (pond?)
>    underneath is not necessary
> 3) the large picture which is good looking and actually shows some
>    notes, but is not suitable for smaller forms of a logo

Too bad that there are 3 typographic mistakes in it :(

Anyway, i think that it'd make sense to have two variants of the logo
- one full-size and one simpler for small uses.  They should be
related visually.
Example: LyX.  It's full logo has 3 colored letters, but the favicon
is just one.  They match nicely.

> I don't have the skills to produce professionally looking
> vectorgraphics. But I would like to ask if that work would be welcomed
> by the community, in case someone did it?

I'd surely be interested in logo suggestions, but remember that it's
easy to produce a lot of wasted effort.
Janek