Re: Stable release state

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Stable release state
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 15:23:32 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:08 PM

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

Declare a feature freeze for a few weeks, with only trivial
additions and fixes for regressions and documentation issues.

The time for a formal decision was too late, the more active
developers informally agreed to try and nobody bothered actually
doing so.

Hmm.  We discussed that, indeed, but noone stepped forward and
*declared* it.

There is nobody with that kind of authority.

But what Werner in effect said was that it was discussed, but not actively proposed, and therefore not agreed.

At present, we're actually premature in proposing a freeze to make ready for a release candidate. We have a number of outstanding critical bugs and regressions which need fixing before we go anywhere with a new stable release. So, currently, step one is to reduce them to zero. Step 2 is to propose and agree a development freeze. Step 3 is to get some release candidates out.

--
Phil Holmes