Re: parser: more specific error messages; issue 3300 (issue 8506043)

From: dak
Subject: Re: parser: more specific error messages; issue 3300 (issue 8506043)
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 18:07:50 +0000

On 2013/04/08 17:58:43, Keith wrote:
On 2013/04/08 16:05:20, dak wrote:

> Here is the problem I have with this change: for
> \new Lyrics { hello, Dolly }
> the error message will become quite less helpful.

Yep.  Version 2.16 printed the same "unexpected STRING".

I see no safe short-term way to give the parser a clue that \new
Lyrics probably
wanted \lyricmode (given that users are allowed to change contexts).
The best I
can think of is
    "unexpected string (without \\lyricmode)"

In TeX, this error message would likely have looked like

"unexpected string (did you forget \\lyricmode ?)"

> Apropos: do you have an example of where your refactoring leads to
> a better error behavior (independent from the error message text
> itself)?

No. Finding the errors earlier simply allows shorter accurate
messages.

You are aware that those two sentences flatly contradict each other?

https://codereview.appspot.com/8506043/