Re: Doc: rename section in LM (3280) (issue 8575044)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Doc: rename section in LM (3280) (issue 8575044)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:26:38 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 10:39 AM

On 2013/04/12 09:31:17, Trevor Daniels wrote:
On 2013/04/11 22:37:41, Graham Percival wrote:
> I think it would be nicer if we could find a word that wasn't a
command word
> ("modifications"?  "adjustments" ?  "customizations"?) but I agree
that in
this
> case "override" is better than "tweak".

Yes, we need a word or phrase that can be used to replace
tweaks and tweaking in all the places where they are used
generically, leaving tweaks and tweaking to refer to the
specific use of \tweak as a command.  Earlier, when \tweak
as a comand was rarely used, no confusion arose, but now that
\tweak is more useful and is appearing more frequently in
replies and documentation I think the time has come to make
the change.  Although long, I think "fine-tuning the layout"
captures the generic meaning of tweaking quite well, and once
introduced it could be shortened to just "fine-tuning".  The
noun could be "fine-tuning adjustments."

So this section could entitled "Using variables for fine-tuning"
or "Using variables for fine-tuning the layout".

The main difficulty with this, and the reason why I'm looking
for further comment, is that many tweaks and overrides are rather
more than _fine_-tuning, but I think I could live with this.

It's not really "fine-tuning", and "tuning" alone has strange
connotations.

I think "retouching" is pretty much on spot.  Asking the thesaurus does
not really deliver anything more convincing:

Sorry - I don't agree. In native English, retouching has a strong connotation of dabbing something like paint over another patch of paint to correct something that doesn't look right. PhotoShop-type programs are known for their retouching ability. In contract, fine-tuning is taking something that's fairly OK as it is and making it better - exactly what we've considered to be a tweak. IMO fine-tuning is a perfectly acceptable description - retouching would not work.

The tuning/tweak stuff potentially arises from a motoring connotation - "Demon Tweeks" (commercial spelling) were well known for selling car tuning parts.

--
Phil Holmes