Re: Add changes entry for Mike's work on skylines. (issue 8613043)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Add changes entry for Mike's work on skylines. (issue 8613043)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:12:12 +0000

On 2013/04/16 11:11:03, janek wrote:
2013/4/16  <address@hidden>:
> I hate it when I get last-minute realizations.  Here is another
thing we
> need to do for the stable release: go through all problems of the
"too
> snug" kind and work out defaults that avoid them.

This might be impossible.  For example to avoid this problem {
d''4-.\downbow } we'd have to turn off or significantly pad Scripts
skylines, and that will result in wrong placement in other cases.

"Wrong placement"?  Seriously?  Can you give any articulation where
you'd get bad behavior for considering just its bounding box?

Most are rather compact anyway, and I don't see how we get an
advantage from being able to sink the dot of a tenuto into a bow
marking.

For inter-script spacing, skylines seem like the entirely wrong thing
to use.  It is conceivable that you can avoid shifting some unrelated
accidental more than a minimum, but that's a harmless problem compared
to scripts creeping into one another.

In general, skylines are mostly nice for grouping _unrelated_
material.  For several things of the _same_ kind, you usually don't
want to shift them into one another.

https://codereview.appspot.com/8613043/