Re: Add changes entry for Mike's work on skylines. (issue 8613043)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Add changes entry for Mike's work on skylines. (issue 8613043)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 18:02:51 -0700

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 04:10:32 -0700, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:

2013/4/16  <address@hidden>:
I hate it when I get last-minute realizations.  Here is another thing we
need to do for the stable release: go through all problems of the "too
snug" kind and work out defaults that avoid them.

This might be impossible.  For example to avoid this problem {
d''4-.\downbow } we'd have to turn off or significantly pad Scripts
skylines, and that will result in wrong placement in other cases.

So what we need is not a vote.  What we need is as much feedback as we
can get about cases considered problematic, and we need to see whether
we can change defaults in a way where they cease being a problem, at
least to the degree where people will not bother fiddling with
overrides in order to get rid of them.

I agree except for the fact that i already think its impossible to
tweak defaults to achieve this.

Then let's un-tweak the defaults for Lyrics.  Sure, some padding helped in your
"Tota pulchra" but it might result in wrong placement in other cases, so we
should remove it:

\new ChoirStaff <<
  \new Lyrics = "s"
  \new Staff = "staff" <<
    \new Voice = "s"  \transpose c c'' { \voiceOne d4 d }
    \new Voice = "a"  \transpose c c' { \voiceTwo d4 d } >>
  \new Lyrics = "s" \with { alignAboveContext = "staff" }
  \context Lyrics = "s" \lyricsto "s" { Ni }
  \context Lyrics = "a" \lyricsto "a" { j  lli } >>
\layout { \context {\Lyrics
    \override VerticalAxisGroup #'nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing = #'()
    \override LyricText #'skyline-horizontal-padding = #0 }}