Re: Issue 3330: redo much of the stencil stacking/spacing/empty-check (i

From: dak
Subject: Re: Issue 3330: redo much of the stencil stacking/spacing/empty-check (issue 8869044)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:10:28 +0000

On 2013/04/29 07:39:04, Keith wrote:
On 2013/04/29 07:26:50, janek wrote:
> On 2013/04/29 03:31:14, Keith wrote:
> > I worry a little about making the extent of markup different from
the union
of
> > its components.  Someone may have used  c4^\markup{\hspace #-3
"text"}  and
> > the left side of the "text" is now vulnerable to collisions.

If you disable skylines, I should think.  I am not fabulously enthused
about the schizophrenous nature of extents and skylines, but it should
make this problem harder to trigger for "legacy" documents, at least for
now.

> I'd say that such a result is ok.  I think that a proper way to move
a markup
is
> to translate the markup, or maybe internally translating its
content.

The result is probably OK, but the change might cause trouble for
people who
have used \hspace at the front of markup to shift the markup left.

I really think it makes more sense (and is more consistent) to use it
for "kerning" in either direction.

In the manual, the example in section 2.9.3 about time-signatures, and
input/regression/morgenlied.ly, use this method.

Even while we probably won't get hit by it fully due to the current
state of skylines, it would make sense to change those sections.

What I like about this change set is that it makes things work out
rather consistently.  Accumulating a text line does not need special
rules differing from stacking material.

So now there is reasonably predictable behavior: it's easier to explain
what happens now than what happened before since a lot of shoestring and
magic is gone.

But you are right that we should comb through our code base and match
the presented approaches to the cleaned-up interface.

https://codereview.appspot.com/8869044/