Re: getting fc-list to see gsfonts

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: getting fc-list to see gsfonts
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:38:16 -0700 (PDT)

Julien Rioux wrote:
>> But now I'm curious, how do I get fc-list to "see" the
>> fonts in the gsfonts directory?
>
> Looks like you have to run fc-cache to update the
> database. Something like: sudo fc-cache -fsv

Julien and David,

I'll start by reiterating that my build now works fine, as
long as I do:

  ../configure --with-ncsb-dir=/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/

So, I have a successful workaround.  And yes David, I
manually applied Julien's patch before he pushed it.  Now
I'm simply curious to see how I can get fc-list to see the
fonts.  Julien, I tried both of these:

  sudo fc-cache -fsv
  sudo fc-cache -fsv /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/

With both commands, I get output that contains this:

  /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts: caching, new cache
  contents: 35 fonts, 0 dirs
  /var/cache/fontconfig: cleaning cache directory
  fc-cache: succeeded

And yet

  fc-list | grep entury

returns nothing, even after rebooting.  Also, running
../configure *without* the --with-ncsb-dir option returns
with the error again, so it seems that fc-list really can't
find the fonts, even though they're right there.  Any ideas?

Julien, I'd like to make a suggestion.  In the error
message, I think it would be far more helpful if instead of
this

  or use --with-ncsb-dir

it said something like this

  or use `configure --with-ncsb-dir=PATH_TO_GSFONTS_DIR'

The point is that it is not at all intuitive to know that
gsfonts is the source of the New Century Schoolbook files.

Thanks.
- Mark