Re: Suggestion: Keep original breaks

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Keep original breaks
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 16:04:25 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 27.11.2013 15:01, schrieb David Kastrup:
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I see nothing wrong with giving a command line option for setting
>>> tags.  That sounds useful, and it would most certainly encompass your
>>> use case.  It would also fit into LilyPond's current tool set, and
>>> consequently into the documentation.
>> The way one would do that is likely to have some option
>>
>> --tags xxx,yyy,zzz
>>
>> and when one writes in the document
>>
>> \keepWithTag \default ...
>> \removeWithTag \default ...
>>
>> then the tags from the command line are used.  I'm not sure that covers
>> all possible and/or use cases, but with careful use of tags, it should
>> be useful for a lot.
>>

> Wouldn't solve my fundamental issue (having to provide a definition in
> the input files) but looks good nevertheless.
>
> But also in this case I would come back and suggest including functions like
>
> originalBreak =
> #(define-music-function (parser location)()
>   ( #{ \tag #'keep-original-breaks \break #} ))
>
> in LilyPond so they are available without having to put them in
> private libraries.

No.  This is a special use case for a special, tool-bound workflow.  It
is totally valid to want the mechanisms in place for making it easy and
straightforward to implement this special use case.

But special use cases themselves belong in special include files.
Again, if LilyPond is lacking mechanisms for conveniently including
special-case include files, that is something worth fixing.

The solution to "It gets complicated when we don't cram everything into
LilyPond where it does not belong" is not to cram everything into
LilyPond where it does not belong, but to stop the alternatives from
being complicated.

You'll not change my opinion about that.  It's basically my main job to
work on making LilyPond coherent and simple to use.  You may think I am
doing a lousy job with that.  That's your prerequisite.

In my defense, I do have a bit of experience.  And it's not like my
track record is all bad.