Re: Add Changes entries for bare rhythms and \beamExceptions (issue 4785

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Add Changes entries for bare rhythms and \beamExceptions (issue 47850043)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 19:31:44 +0100

James <address@hidden> writes:

> On 06/01/14 18:12, address@hidden wrote:
>> On 2014/01/06 16:24:24, t.daniels_treda.co.uk wrote:
>>> mailto:address@hidden wrote Monday, January 06, 2014 3:27 PM

>>> Yes, and even simpler:
>>
>>>      Durations can be written in music expressions without an
>>>      immediately preceding pitch or chord --- the missing
>>>      pitches will be taken from the last preceding note or chord.
>>
>> Ah, but they won't.  It's only during scorification that the missing
>> pitches get filled in.  Now of course there is little point in trying to
>> pick a wording that is technically more accurate without the reader
>> having a chance to guess that until he figures it out on his own.
>>
>> Feels a little bit like how "congressional oversight" (well, the
>> equivocating rather than the blunt perjury).  Any idea how to write this
>> appropriate for this level without omitting the information that the
>> note events will stay pitchless until scorification time?
> Can't we just show an @lilypond example?

I'm a bit at a loss here: \displayLilyMusic demonstrates that no pitches
have been filled in (like it would with q chord repeats) but that's not
much of an example.  And for anything occuring in a score, the pitches
will be there.  One could do something like

\relative { c'4 c' c' }

as opposed to

\relative { c'4 4 4 }

as this makes clear that at least at the time \relative is executed the
pitches are not yet available for getting mangled.

https://codereview.appspot.com/47850043/