Re: fixing German's Wikipedia entry of LilyPond

From: James
Subject: Re: fixing German's Wikipedia entry of LilyPond
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:10:10 +0000

On 12/01/14 06:19, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Folks,

the German Wikipedia entry of LilyPond at

  https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/LilyPond

shows a few bars of a Stockhausen piano piece.  Unfortunately, it's of
bad quality: it contains input errors (cf. the plain text `pp'), the
typesetting of the score itself, and its conversion to SVG (resp. the
follow-up conversion to PNG).  This is not an advertisement for
Lilypond at all IMHO...

The input file (for version 2.12.2!) can be found here

  https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Klavierst%C3%BCcke_(Stockhausen)_Nr2-Klavierst%C3%BCck2-Anfang.svg

and a quick search for a scan of the original print gives me

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE2cMxY91rU

I'm quite sure that we can do that *much* better!

Any volunteer?  Unfortunately, I don't have time to do that by myself.

Well I just copied/pasted the 2.12 ly code and applied convert-ly to it for 2.19.1 and then PDF'd it. Seems the code has more bars than the SVG file.

I then removed the excess bars, tidied up the layout of the ly file (as per the CG guidelines! %^) ) I also removed some of the padding tweaks as these seemed to no longer be needed.

However there are some tweaks I am not so sure of how to do.

The pedal symbol clashes with the dynamic in bar 3 and there is a clash of a tuplets in the second upper bar with accidentals - which I believe is

Anyway, I have done as much as I can. Attached the before and after files for anyone else who wants to finish this off.

James