Re: Detail question about "Text input" page

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Detail question about "Text input" page
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 13:16:34 +0100

Am 13.01.2014 13:03, schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

What is the exact objective of:

"Please read the Learning Manual before complaining about bugs! New
users occasionally believe that LilyPond is not working correctly,
when in fact it is working precisely as designed."

I find this slightly off-putting because it tells the reader: "If it
doesn't seem to work you're probably too dumb".

Is this targeted at the people who wonder why double-clicking on the
desktop shortcut won't open a program?

You mean like
<URL:http://download.cnet.com/LilyPond/9241-2141_4-10995890.html?messageID=10589553&tag=uo;uo>?
I doubt that pointing to the Learning Manual would help with that...

No doubt it won't help.
And that's why I thought the paragraph might be less than ideal.

Or is this more the advice "well, we know it's complicated to start
with, but please bear with us and read the LM"?

I suggest getting rid of the "complaining about bugs" phrase. We want
to be friendly and welcoming, aren't we?

It's more like the people reporting as a bug that when they write

{ f fis f f }

that there is a natural accidental before the second f that they did not
ask for, and they don't seem to be able to get rid of it.

OK, that's practically what I meant with my second option.

The problem is that if you get asked this sort of question too often, it
is becoming hard to be friendly and welcoming.  So you refrain from
answering at all, and that's not friendly and welcoming either.

Whether such a warning will have a noticeable effect, however, is
questionable.

Maybe not. In particular when people (like the disappointed guy you linked to above) get LilyPond from an external download site.

But I think I will propose a rewritten version. I have a few ideas to make the situation clearer, at least for those who _do_ read these pages.

Urs