Re: Cannot 'make' current master with (or without) PATCHY

From: James
Subject: Re: Cannot 'make' current master with (or without) PATCHY
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 10:59:55 +0100

On 27/05/14 10:56, Phil Holmes wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "James" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:52 AM

On 27/05/14 10:51, James wrote:
On 27/05/14 10:47, Phil Holmes wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
To: "James" <address@hidden>; "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:18 AM

----- Original Message ----- From: "James" <address@hidden>
To: "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:58 AM

Hello,

I've been having problems with patchy these last few days, often it is just an artifact of testing so many different and disparate patches so that I have cleaned down my temp directories (where all the automated build stuff is kept) and also deleted the test-* branches that patchy creates when it runs.

However there does seem to be a problem.

I was still unable to pass 'make' on any patches as of last night, and after my clean down this morning I still could not do any 'make' (not make test or make test-baseline or even make doc, but just plain old 'make'). It fails with an error.

So I cleaned down again made sure master was up to date in my own git and then simply did an out of tree build with no patches applied and it still failed on make.

I then used a new install of LilyDev and again it failed. So can someone else just try to 'make' from the current master (no need to make doc or anything so time consuming) and let me know if they get the same thing as I am?

As you can probably see from git, my version of patchy ran fine yesterday. I've also been running make (albeit with a non-clean tree) last night and today without a problem. Have you tried a nuke build and reconfig from scratch?

OK - I've just done that and the build failed. My guess is that it's to do with Han-Wen's recent build changes, and is masked by using make-clean rather than a full nuke, for some reason. I'm bisecting to check.

--
Phil Holmes
OK I can do a full nuke, I'll let you know but it may take a while as I am currently at work so don't have the immediate time to do this now. Maybe a few hours.

James
Oh sorry, I misread what you wrote.

When YOU did a nuke build (Iike Patchy does) then it fails for you?

So it is broken?

I assume patchy does a "make clean" make, which was OK for me manually. A "nuke build" make fails for me. Confirming that master will not build from scratch and on diagnosing it. Watch this space.
As far as I can tell when patchy does run a successful test run it does run a make clean (at least that is what I can see in the stdout in the terminal). But this isn't a nuked rebuild. So when I rebooted the OS and that emptied the tmp dir where the autobuild stuff is put then i noticed that a basic make was failing and it wasn't that the patches were bad (sorry Mark for the wasted time on your side). So then I ran a manual out of tree build in $LILYPOND_GIT and saw then that the make failed.

James