Re: es means ees???

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: es means ees???
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 12:12:38 +0200

Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 2014-10-07 at 09:50 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

>> > That was a good idea I think. What is unfortunate is that the default
> [...]
>>
>> > But this is a very minor thing, perhaps as a matter of style the ly
>> > directory code should avoid the contractions?
>>
>> I'd consider that bad style.
>
> Thinking about it, this "bad style" is the one recommended by the
> LilyPond documentation, since the changes Graham introduced into the NR
> ages ago. It lead to me being unable to read a LilyPond file without
> consulting the note-names-in-other-languages section, which you don't
> expect to need to do when this isn't an "other language".

Then we should rectify this.  I don't think that would need more than a
single sentence.  I think it is a bad idea when one LilyPond user cannot
read a simple melody pinned down by another user without getting
confused.  LilyPond is not a write-only language but also a means of
communicating and cooperating.  For better or worse, the default
notename language is Dutch and so people should know what to expect when
exchanging music with musicians working with Dutch note names.

I think that \language "english" comes closest to the idea of
"artificial but convenient language" because of the inherently bad
"natural" English note names that nobody wants to use when writing down
melodies.