Font switching docs - add a font to LilyPond?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Font switching docs - add a font to LilyPond?
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 12:24:28 +0100

Hi all,

Abraham has sent me documentation for his recent font switch improvement to incorporate into LilyPond's manuals. However, there is one issue I'd like to sort out before I start editing the .itely files.

Of course the documentation gives an example of the use of the new font selection function. But this will require the used font(s) to be installed on the build system because otherwise the build will fail. I see the following ways to deal with that situation and would like to get your opinion about it.

1)
work around that by *not* providing a working (i.e. autocompiling) example.
That could mean providing a listing and a static image.

2)
work around that by only linking to fonts.openlilylib.org and a working example there.

3)
Make at least one additional font a requirement for the build system.

4)
Include at least one additional font into LilyPond's distribution and use that for the example.

I don't like 1) and 2) at all!

3) would be OK, but I don't have a clue how that would have to be done.

4) would be my favourite, and I'd suggest LilyJAZZ for that (as it's the most obviously different font with the most obvious use case as an alternative). The problem I see with that is that the alternative fonts are not available as source code so we'd have to include the binary files. I don't think that's a licensing issue but of course it could become an issue of maintenance some day (if Emmentaler should introduce incompatible changes).

So I would prefer going for 4), but I don't know how to do that.
Obviously the files would have to be added to the repository and at some step during the build process be copied to the font directories.

What do you think?

Urs