Re: Font switching docs - add a font to LilyPond?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Font switching docs - add a font to LilyPond?
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 11:58:52 +0100

Am 18.12.2014 01:38, schrieb James Lowe:
Urs,

On 15/12/14 11:24, Urs Liska wrote:
Hi all,

Abraham has sent me documentation for his recent font switch improvement
to incorporate into LilyPond's manuals.
However, there is one issue I'd like to sort out before I start editing
the .itely files.

Of course the documentation gives an example of the use of the new font
selection function. But this will require the used font(s) to be
installed on the build system because otherwise the build will fail.

This is a 'patch abandoned'. Take a look here and see if this is
something you can work with.

Well, not directly. It rather tells me that it *is* a non-trivial issue.
But I think that now that we have the infrastructure of switching fonts built-in with LilyPond the situation has slightly changed.

So I "officially" propose to

- ship LilyJAZZ, LilyJAZZText and LilyJAZZChord with LilyPond
as this is the most fundamental alternative (allowing for a completely different type of scores
  while the other fonts are "merely" stylistic alternatives.
  I would do so even if we can only ship the resulting font files.
It's somewhat less nice than having the MF sources like with Emmentaler, but e.g. TeXLive would only say: Provide the sources if that's possible, otherwise use only the font files.
- Host the binary font files in the lilypond-extra repository
  (I can prepare a pull request)
- Add something to the build process that copies those fonts to the right location in LilyPond
  (I can look into that if someone points me in the right direction)

Urs

James