Re: mentorship

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: mentorship
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 04:11:33 +0000 (UTC)

Kevin Barry <barrykp <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > It depends on which part of LilyPond you want to help with as to the
> > availability of people to help you. Is there a particular skill-set, set
> > of issues or area of LilyPond you are particularly interested in?
>
> Thank you for responding. I would like to be able to contribute code to
the
> project but I'm not really a programmer (I'm a music academic). I worked
> through some chapters of SICP in the past, so I have a rudimentary
> understanding of ... the first few chapters of SICP. I would like to learn
> more, if that's something that would help. Otherwise I will help any way
> that might be needed. I don't have any specific goals other than
> contributing somehow and maybe learning more about programming along the
> way.
>
> Kevin

Given that you know a lot about how various kinds of printed music
are supposed to look, and have an interest in how the program works,

I suggest you watch for interesting bug-reports, follow the resolutions,
and compile lilypond and test the patches if you can set up a computer
to do that.

Often we have enhancement requests
that turn out not to be completely wise

Sometimes the main question is one of how to design a feature to be useful