Re: Google Code shutting down

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Google Code shutting down
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 18:21:18 +0200

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> Federico Bruni wrote Monday, May 04, 2015 2:53 PM
>
>> Interesting!
>> https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/Features/
>>
>> I think that the main alternatives are Launchpad (Affero GPL) and Apache
>> Allura (Apache License).
>> Launchpad provides also the hosting, while Allura should be deployed on
>> Savannah.
>> Both are free software so we can move where we wish and avoid any 3rd party
>> trap.
>
> Allura is the engine used by SourceForge.  There's quite a lot of
> information there, including the APIs.  Here's the tracker API.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Allura%20API/#tracker
>
> It seems it accepts attachments, but I don't know if there is a means
> of displaying these in the tracker.
>
> The trackers are also configurable:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Tickets/
>
> And we are eligible to use sourceforce, I believe, so this looks
> worthy of a closer look.  For example, it's not clear how we would
> transfer out existing issue DB, but a custom script using the API
> should be able to do that.
>
> Ah, wait .. sourceforce have an importer from GoogleCode.  I had to
> register to see it, but that's easy.  After that, it's here
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/import_project/google-code/
>
> It says it will import Wiki pages, source code (SVN, Git or Hg),
> Downloads, and Issues.
>
> Before I try it, are there any objections or gotchas?

Wasn't Savannah's main system Savane a fork of SourceForge's proprietary
software version?  Anybody have more of a clue about the relations
between the various versions and what that might mean for our chances of
getting this system adopted by Savannah?

If we have a really viable migration path out of non-Savannah hosting,
it seems like putting our eggs not in too many outsourced baskets might
save us from some future headaches like the Google code one.