Re: Document incipit command (issue 232180043 by address@hidden)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Document incipit command (issue 232180043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 13:22:56 +0000

On 2015/05/05 13:09:15, Trevor Daniels wrote:
On 2015/05/05 12:07:32, http://mail_philholmes.net wrote:

> I read the CG on *index entries, and experimented a fair amount, but
never
> quite got to understand the difference.
>
> Is cindex the Command index only?  Should it be @cindex \incipit or
@cindex
> incipit?  Or both? And funindex is the main index, which therefore
separates
> the \ entries from the others with alpha sorting?

It is a bit of a mess, but we never agreed on the best way to sort it
out.

The best way to sort this out, I think, was to fix the address@hidden index
generation in Texinfo.  Now that Texinfo 5 has presumably been rewritten
in Perl, maybe we should try bringing this up on the Texinfo mailing
list again.

The basic topic is to have a way to get \xyz sorted under X.  In older
versions of Texinfo, at least the TeX version of the index was generated
by running the "texindex" program (which is, hard to know from its name,
quite specific to Texinfo in contrast to the general-purpose "makeindex"
program).

https://codereview.appspot.com/232180043/