Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by ad

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 18:02:22 +0200

Paul Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Another thought, how about the name \regular?

I don't find that any better than any previous proposal.  \relative is
not irregular.

> 2. “regular” also refers to the consistency or regularity of the
> octave indications in this entry mode, as contrasted with relative
> mode — the regularity where ,,, ,, , ’ ’’ ’’’ each refers to the same
> octave within the {…}.  As in this dictionary definition of “regular”:
> "arranged in or constituting a constant or definite pattern,
> especially with the same space between individual instances”.

That definition is the same as "equidistant", not as "with fixed
meaning" or "not depending on the previous note".

> And I’d say its descriptiveness or intuitiveness is at
> least as good as \fixed, maybe better.  Worth considering.

I don't like \fixed but consider \regular even more arbitrary.  At any
rate, we pretty much figured out that we won't get an unanimous decision
on the details of this proposal's naming choice.  Even though we seem to
have more or less reached agreement that the facility itself would be a
nice addition to LilyPond's input toolbox.