Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by ad

From: Joram
Subject: Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 15:19:13 +0200

Hi David, hi all,

>> it might not be obvious to strangers to the Helmholtz pitch notation
>> system [1], but shifting the octave is *not* absolute.
>
> LilyPond does not really employ the Helmholtz pitch notation system.

I know. I intended to write that the LP notation is close to the
Helmholtz notation. But it does not matter for my point: shifted octaves
are not absolute. A c'' ("2-gestrichenes c") is a c'' and not a c.
\absolute c'' \music != \music.

> \absolute c'' is proposed as a notational convenience.
>
> Nobody complains that \absolute \transpose c es { c d e }

That's a different case. The music { c d e } is here obviously
transposed by a command that is called like this. \absolute sounds like
the music expression is in absolute octaves – but it is not then.

>> That’s why I strongly recommend not to use \absolute for some kind of
>> non-absolute notation.
>
> Well, that's one argument based on personal associations.

First of all, based on the meaning of the word absolute.

I also see your point about few additional commands.

a) - d) is a good overview. I never used \absolute and I don't know
where I would need it. For backwards compatibility I like a), the best
solution in my opinion is d). And yes, it's difficult.

Cheers,
Joram