Re: add stencil-whiteout-outline function (issue 236480043 by address@hi

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: add stencil-whiteout-outline function (issue 236480043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 00:02:52 -0400

> On May 28, 2015, at 8:21 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>
> Paul, I've set the Google Tracker (#4418) to 'needs_work' based on the
> comments here

Thanks James.  I’ve uploaded a second patch set for review.
https://codereview.appspot.com/236480043/

(git-cl gave me “Incorrect username or password”  I assume this is due to the
problem mentioned in the other thread with login credentials.  Everything looks
ok on Reitveld.)

The patch set uses the new whiteout function as the new default.  The previous
function and markup command are renamed "whiteout-box".  (This puts whiteout
and whiteout-box next to each other in alphabetical listings, whereas
"box-whiteout" wouldn’t have.)

I’ve incorporated Keith’s feedback, both about delaying the stencil formation
in stencil.scm and about rearranging the order of things in get_print_stencil
in grob.cc.  In my tests this did fix the color and file size issues.

Question: should the whiteout property be a number rather than a boolean, so
that it sets the thickness of the white outline (and #0 replaces ##f)?  Or
should the whiteout property accept either a number or a boolean?  That would
make it easier for users to simply get the default (0.3) using ##t, or to set
it to some other amount.  (A convert-ly rule may be needed… maybe in any case
to change whiteout to whiteout-box? ...or maybe not?)

-Paul