Web: Review GSoC page (issue 285400043 by address@hidden)

From: paulwmorris
Subject: Web: Review GSoC page (issue 285400043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 20:53:30 +0000

Thanks for working on this Urs.  Here are my strong opinions and
suggested revisions.  Make of them what you will!

-Paul

https://codereview.appspot.com/285400043/diff/1/Documentation/web/community.itexi
File Documentation/web/community.itexi (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/285400043/diff/1/Documentation/web/community.itexi#newcode909
Documentation/web/community.itexi:909: anyone who is interested in
developing LilyPond.
Why don't we just shorten this paragraph to:

Below is a list of suggested projects for GSoC or for anyone who is
interested in developing LilyPond.  (Last updated: February 2016)

https://codereview.appspot.com/285400043/diff/1/Documentation/web/community.itexi#newcode916
Documentation/web/community.itexi:916: you're welcome to suggest it.
How about simplifying this paragraph to:

If you have ideas for a GSoC project that is not listed below, please
send us an email on our developer mailing list (see @ref{Contact}).
There are a number of areas where LilyPond could be improved, and our
development team is always willing to help those who would like to
tackle a project like those listed below.

https://codereview.appspot.com/285400043/diff/1/Documentation/web/community.itexi#newcode925
Documentation/web/community.itexi:925: case.
This should come before the text about the sourceforge list, otherwise
which list does it refer to?  It would probably go best before the text
about other projects that are not on the project list.  I would suggest
rewording it as follows:

Mentor availability varies from project to project and from year to
year.  Send us an email on our developer mailing list (see
@ref{Contact}), and we will help you find a mentor for a project that
fits your interests and skills.

I see no problem in changing the sort order, but I'd rather not specify
the sort order, as it seems like a distraction and a future maintenance
burden.  The list isn't that long and we want students to read the whole
thing and contact us if there's any project they're interested in.

https://codereview.appspot.com/285400043/diff/1/Documentation/web/community.itexi#newcode1088
Documentation/web/community.itexi:1088: project from 2015.
I would shorten to:

There are several possibilities for this project, including building
upon the MusicXML export project from GSoC 2015.

https://codereview.appspot.com/285400043/diff/1/Documentation/web/community.itexi#newcode1091
Documentation/web/community.itexi:1091: @strong{Requirements:} MusicXML,
Python, (Scheme), basic LilyPond knowledge
(Scheme) --> Scheme

https://codereview.appspot.com/285400043/diff/1/Documentation/web/community.itexi#newcode1092
Documentation/web/community.itexi:1092: @strong{Potential Mentors:} None
confirmed for 2016
I would keep the names of potential mentors (partly for easy reference
in future years or in the "off-season"), but just list their status as
well.  For example:

@strong{Potential Mentors:} Reinhold Kainhofer, Mike Solomon (neither
are available for GSoC 2016)

Same suggestion for all listings like this.

https://codereview.appspot.com/285400043/diff/1/Documentation/web/community.itexi#newcode1107
Documentation/web/community.itexi:1107: achievements with regard to
LilyPond's default output quality.
I don't think this is needed.  It breaks out of the pattern of just
describing the project and gets into editorializing about its
comparative worth relative to other projects, or even how rewarding it
would be.  Maybe someone would find another project more rewarding?
Seems like this is better suited for a conversation with a student.

https://codereview.appspot.com/285400043/