Chord Names

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Chord Names
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 12:17:32 +0100

Hi all,

I returned to Issue 4344 Rewrite chordnames - disentangle data from formatting

Because it's also a GSoC-project I thought I should announce it.
Currently my Code is not in a state to publish it in any way. Though I
made some observations and have some questions.

(1)
In Documentation/included/chord-names-jazz.ly there is a commented
section about Banter-style.
Trying to compile it uncommented, I found it's broken at least since 2.12.3
I fixed it, so that it compiles, but have the impression the output is
not correct.
An excerpt of it attached.
Does anybody have a clue how it should look?

(2)
The chordNameFunction sees a list of pitches, bass-pitch,
inversion-pitch and a context.
In chord-ignatzek-names.scm the pitch-list is selected to get only
those pitches, which will be relevant for the ignatzek-style
chordnaming.
For banter-style it's partly redone differently. In chord-generic-names.scm.
I have the impression Brandt-Roemer-style would need a different subset again.
Not very nice or effective.
Any hint how to make this selections user-accessible, without need to
repeat the whole thing from scratch?

Btw, I have no good idea about how Brandt-Roemer should look and which
rules to follow.
Seems their book isn't available online.
Kieren, you put up some work in this regard. Iirc via exceptions.
Could you send me what you've done so far, privately, if you prefer.

Cheers,
  Harm

P.S.
In Documentation/included/chord-names-jazz.ly \sequential is used. I
seem to remember, it is deprecated?
But after a cursory search I've found some instnces of \sequential and
\simultaneous
Documentation/extending/scheme-tutorial.itely
input/regression/tag-filter.ly
(maybe others)

If it is indeed deprecated, we should change at least Extending Manual