Re: Two people try to get lilypond for 2.0.12, but hit a roadblock

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Two people try to get lilypond for 2.0.12, but hit a roadblock
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 19:44:29 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:

>> In fact, that's the current block on further work making LilyPond
>> Guile-2.0 compatible since no developer has gotten an unreleased tree to
>> combine with LilyPond, and working on the integration without even being
>> able to test is not viable.
>
> Okay, I'll look into that.  I think my lily patches should just make
> that possible now.

And indeed it is.  It puzzles me that todays developers do not seem to
know how to build from source anymore when changes are required.

I tried to plug Schikkers-List a couple of years ago and provided
scripts to build guile2, gwrap, guile-gnome2 and lilypond from source,
and I didn't get any feedback (positive or negative) on that.

Anyway, my grand plan here is to use Guix which provides a reproducible,
dependable build environment that is transparent between sources and
binaries and supported or externally added packages.

I have pushed a wip-lily branch to

    https://gitlab.com/janneke/guix

which adds two commits on top of current Guix master: building latest
Guile/stable-2.0 and lilypond-2.19.40+dev/janneke/wip-guile2 patches.

Greetings,
Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl