Re: Two people try to get lilypond for 2.0.12, but hit a roadblock

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Two people try to get lilypond for 2.0.12, but hit a roadblock
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 00:34:34 +0200

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 10:09 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Not really as material for a public discussion.

Greetings to you both,
Well, I for one am quite happy to see that Jan’s still around (even
though you guys have every reason to feel tired)...

Schikkers-List was an awesome idea (it still is), and I’ve been very
excited about it since Jan first announced it. As far as I’m
concerned, it’s definitely not off the table.

Getting LilyPond to work with Guix is also a promising lead (I’ve been
playing with NixOS for the past decade and I’m delighted to see the
concepts behind it gaining some traction lately).

Although an incredibly frustrating PITA on many levels, Guile v2 is
here to stay so getting both LilyPond (I believe we’re almost there
yet, aren’t we?) and the upstream code ready _does_ matter,
considerably. Thus, although I’m not actively contributing at the
moment (other than the occasional pep talk :-) I’m glad you guys made
this fragment of your proceedings public.

I’ve been building Lily with the --enable-guile2 flag for the past six
months or so (well, as far as issue #4814 with GCC6 has let me), and I
haven’t been running into any problems in my day-to-day work; I’ll
happily keep playing guinea pig until we can ship unstable releases
with guile2 by default.

Re. Guix; I’ve just cloned and built Jan’s branch and this is as far
as I got in just a few minutes:

-bash-4.3# guix package --show=lilypond
name: lilypond
version: 2.19.33
outputs: out
systems: x86_64-linux i686-linux armhf-linux mips64el-linux
dependencies: bison-3.0.4 dblatex-0.3.5 flex-2.6.0 font-dejavu-2.34
font-tex-gyre-2.005 fontconfig-2.11.94 fontforge-20160404
freetype-2.6.3
+ gettext-0.19.7 ghostscript-9.14.0 guile-1.8.8 imagemagick-6.9.3-10
netpbm-10.61.01 pango-1.40.1 perl-5.22.1 pkg-config-0.29 python-2.7.10
+ rsync-3.1.2 texi2html-5.0 texinfo-6.0 texlive-2015 zip-3.0
location: gnu/packages/music.scm:353:2
homepage: http://www.lilypond.org/
license: GPL 3+
synopsis: Music typesetting
high-quality sheet music.  Music is input in a text file containing
control
+ sequences which are interpreted by LilyPond to produce the final
document.  It is extendable with Guile.

-bash-4.3# guix package -i lilypond
accepted connection from pid 17918, user root (trusted)
substitute: guix substitute: warning: ACL for archive imports seems to
be uninitialized, substitutes may be unavailable
killing process 17929
guix package: error: build failed: while setting up the build
environment: cannot set loopback interface flags: Operation not
permitted

Best Regards,
Valentin.