Re: Still cannot make doc :(

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Still cannot make doc :(
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 12:15:10 +0100

Thomas,

On 29/05/16 11:46, Thomas Morley wrote:

FWIW, I checked out staging with your recent patch, i.e.:
$ git log
commit 193369dddc8adc492d3d98b6f1d00de11a31e9c4
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Fri May 27 10:20:18 2016 +0200

     Issue 4863: Protect Grob_interface<>::interface_symbol_
[...]

On my host system Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit
make doc
fails with orchestra.ly as before
Always worth double checking ...

It wasn't orchestra.ly, but another file, which turned out to be a
snippet used only in Documentation/ja/learning/tutorial.itely
lily-6fc21da7.ly

It basically contains:

\relative {
   c''4-\markup { \bold \huge { ここをクリックしてください } }
}

Trying to compile it alone gave me a gs-error, which reminded me at
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Ghostscript-crashes-on-Japanese-characters-on-Ubuntu-16-04-tt190959.html

So I removed noto and did
sudo apt-get install fonts-ipafont-mincho

Now the snippet compiled.

Then I tried `make doc' again.

Failed again with the japanese docs.
/Documentation/ja/learning.splittexi.log reads:

** `Tutorial' doesn't appear in menus
** `Top' is up for `Tutorial', but has no menu entry for this node
** No node following `Tutorial' in menu, but `Common notation' follows
in sectionning
** `Common notation' doesn't appear in menus
** `Top' is up for `Common notation', but has no menu entry for this node
** No node following `Common notation' in menu, but `Fundamental
concepts' follows in sectionning
** `Fundamental concepts' doesn't appear in menus
** `Top' is up for `Fundamental concepts', but has no menu entry for this node
** No node following `Fundamental concepts' in menu, but `Tweaking
output' follows in sectionning
** `Tweaking output' doesn't appear in menus
** `Top' is up for `Tweaking output', but has no menu entry for this node
** No node following `Tweaking output' in menu, but `Templates'
follows in sectionning
** `Templates' doesn't appear in menus
** `Top' is up for `Templates', but has no menu entry for this node
** No node following `Templates' in menu, but `GNU Free Documentation
License' follows in sectionning
WARNING: Unable to load the map file
WARNING: Unable to find node 'チュートリアル' in book .
WARNING: Unable to find node 'チュートリアル' in book .
*** Unknown node in menu entry `チュートリアル' (l. 55)
Max error number exceeded

So far my findings for today, hope it helps, building the docs on my
weak laptop is a pain ...

Cheers,
   Harm
Meanwhile I did
make doc-clean
make log-clean
make LANGS='de' doc

which failed in the regression-tests.

In the log I see again gs-problems for some files like:

Processing `./c0/lily-c236818d.ly'
Parsing...
Renaming input to: `/home/hermann/lilypond-git/input/regression/utf-8.ly'
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks...
Drawing systems...
Writing header field `texidoc' to `./c0/lily-c236818d.texidoc'...
Writing ./c0/lily-c236818d-1.signature
Writing ./c0/lily-c236818d-2.signature
Layout output to `./c0/lily-c236818d.eps'...
Converting to `./c0/lily-c236818d.pdf'...
warning: `(gs -q -dNOSAFER -dEPSCrop -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4
-dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sOutputFile=./c0/lily-c236818d.pdf -c.setpdfwrite
-f./c0/lily-c236818d.eps)' failed (256)

Every problematic file listed in the log compiles on its own without
problem. They all deal with fonts in some way, though.

Cheers,
   Harm
In addition,
a new run of `make LANGS='' doc' without cleaning docs/logs before
failed (ofcourse) and left the attached log-file which contains only
log-output of the problemativ files.

Cheers,
   Harm

I think this a a completely different issue that you have, perhaps, self-inflicted here and this is just adding noise to the thread.

Knut and I do not get these same errors as you and also note that we both *can* compile doc prior to the one checkin that David did.

I think it was this one:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=c1d7bc2217462a63bf5c5c6d6f6df5cb00099180

Put your tree back before that and make doc works - as does all the patch testing (although obviously I cannot condone any recent patch that passes just because I happened to be on part of master that works for me).

If you roll back you tree to checkins before and leave everything else on your system the same then and you still get make doc issues - as I suspect you will - then hopefully you can see whatever problem you are having is not the same as this one.

I did this with Hosoda-san's TexInfo patch. It's for Texinfo.tex so I can roll back to last two weeks and apply that just to make sure I can make doc with just this file updated on that version of master and it compiles with no complaints. As soon as I rebase master with current and try the same patch, I go back to the same old 'orchestra.ly' failure - note also that he failure seems to occur at the 'website' making stage where this ly file's only purpose is to generate a png file for an examples display (i.e. it isn't a snippet that I can see used in any other part of the doc).

Finally, as I cannot make doc still, I cannot test patches, am not really checking my emails as much as I normally do, other than to drop by for the patch countdown - which doesn't need me to compile anything. It also means, as you can all see, that staging is not being merged and I have both my home and work machines running on a patchy-staging-merge 2 - 4 hour loop but constantly reporting the same make doc fail each time they try to merge.

Someone else is going to have to test patches and merge staging for now.

James