Re: Is Anyone Working on a Better Tablature Algorithm?

From: christopher-heckman
Subject: Re: Is Anyone Working on a Better Tablature Algorithm?
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 13:56:46 -0700 (MST)

I've been coding this up, on and off for the past three weeks, and I have a
workable program. This should probably be called chTab 0.1. (ch either
stands for Chuanjun He (who developed the algorithm) or Christopher Heckman
(who implemented it in Scheme/Lilypond) ... Take your pick.)

It does not recognize ties or glissandos, and does not attempt to
incorporate harmonics into the tablature.

This algorithm can be tuned quite extensively; max-fret, hand-width,
use-open-strings, use-harmonics, and track-tabs can be set to various
values.

Other tweaks are possible, and that's where I'd like to have some feedback.
If you play guitar, enter something and test the tablature for playability.
If you feel the playability is bad for some reason, let me know.

Of course, if there are any bugs, let me know about that as well.

Set-up: Put chTab.ly in the same directory as your .ly file.

Example file:

---------------------
\include "chTab.ly"

\new TabStaff \with { stringTunings = #bass-tuning } { f4 f' } % Lilypond's
default tablature

\new TabStaff \with { stringTunings = #bass-tuning } { \chTab { f4 f' }
#bass-tuning  } % this algorithm

\version "2.18.2"

(So, yes, you also need to provide the tuning, at this point. #guitar-tuning
and the rest of the tunings are usable.)

--- Christopher Heckman

File:  chTab.ly
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n197550/chTab.ly>