Re: Is Anyone Working on a Better Tablature Algorithm?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Is Anyone Working on a Better Tablature Algorithm?
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 17:01:38 +0000

On 12/4/16 9:55 AM, "Thomas Morley" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On 12/3/16 1:56 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of christopher-heckman"
>> <address@hidden on behalf of
>> address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>>Other tweaks are possible, and that's where I'd like to have some
>>>feedback.
>>>If you play guitar, enter something and test the tablature for
>>>playability.
>>>If you feel the playability is bad for some reason, let me know.
>>
>> Is there any reason not to replace the current tablature algorithm with
>> this algorithm?
>
>Too  much TODOs currently

I agree that it's not yet ready to replace the current algorithm.  I was
thinking more of when it's done.

<snip>

>>It seems that we'd just need to add the properties to the
>> context properties of the TabStaff.
>
>This would be likely one of the TODOs.

We could add a context property to the TabStaff and FretBoards contexts
that is note-to-fret-procedure.  It would then use whichever procedure was
desired to convert notes to tabs.

In that way, we wouldn't replace the current determine-frets function.
We'd just have the alternative to call another function.

That seems like the best long-term way of implementing it, rather than
using a music function.

Thanks,

Carl