Re: music function to be included somewhere in scm/*

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: music function to be included somewhere in scm/*
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 23:41:21 +0100

Am 15.12.2016 um 19:29 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
We have convert-ly exactly for such changes.
I doubt that all corner cases like the Issue 1006 update given in
lyrextest.ly can be handled automatically ...
???

s/LyricExtender.minimum-length/LyricExtender.whatever-you-want/

Yes, that would be easy. What I meant is that I do believe that it is impossible
to mechanically translate an old score to give exactly the same result with the
new code. Let's try to start.

We do not need "__", so eliminate it:  sed -e "s/__//g"

Ok, that looks good. But wait: There is a melisma, and it would be longer than
minimum-length, the new engraver adds an extender line. But there is no "__",
so the old code did not engrave an extender line. Ok, add an override to be sure
there is no extender with the new code. Is convert.ly intelligent enough to
handle
that  problem correctly? I doubt that although I admit that I never had a look
at
the code.

There is one way we could stay compatible: Keep the old code and use it for
every score with a \version < X , enable the new code for \version >= X.

cu,
 Knut