Re: LilyDev 5.0 released

From: James
Subject: Re: LilyDev 5.0 released
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 18:37:07 +0000

Hello Paul

On 22/12/16 17:48, Paul wrote:
Hi Federico,

Thanks and congrats on the new release!

I gave it a try. Installation seemed to go fine, but then on booting it up I get past the GRUB screen and then it goes to a black unresponsive screen at "loading initial ramdisk..." Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it further. I'm attaching the log file in case anyone wants to take a look.

(I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 and Virtual Box version 5.0.24_Ubuntu r108355) (I'm using LilyDev on Ubuntu because I'm new to GNU/Linux and already familiar with LilyDev.)

Cheers,
-Paul

I also tried to install LilyDev 5.0 last week - I use Ubuntu 16.0.4 with the latest 64 bit vBox 5.1.x test build (112223 w Ext pack 112433).

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

(I have been using it for the last week or so without any problems for my 'work' VM it's very stable and fixed some annoying clipboard issues I was having with the one in the repos).

If you want to give it a go in case it is the repo version that is at fault - which is a bit behind the current stable release even.

1. Uninstall the vBox package from the Software Repo (I assume you apt-get installed it? So apt-get remove it).

2. Download the 'Linux 64 bit' version of the 5.1.x build. with the Extension Pack.

3. You will need to chmod +x the Installer.

4. Then run the exe as root (sudo ./VirtualBox_5...) and it will install all the bits and bobs for you.

5. Start the Virtual Box UI and then apply the extension pack via the 'files/preferences -> Extensions' part of the UI.

I don't use any special settings other than 3 or 4 CPUs, disable sound and enable PAE for my Hardware.

I have not had the same problems as your self and it boots very quick.

I know that doesn't help you diagnose your issue, but as a second point of reference, albeit with a newer version of Virtual Box it seems to work for me.

James