Re: LilyDev 5.0 released

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: LilyDev 5.0 released
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 06:00:12 +0100

Il giorno gio 22 dic 2016 alle 18:48, Paul <address@hidden> ha scritto:
I gave it a try. Installation seemed to go fine, but then on booting it up I get past the GRUB screen and then it goes to a black unresponsive screen at "loading initial ramdisk..." Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it further. I'm attaching the log file in case anyone wants to take a look.

(I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 and Virtual Box version 5.0.24_Ubuntu r108355) (I'm using LilyDev on Ubuntu because I'm new to GNU/Linux and already familiar with LilyDev.)

Hi Paul

In the log I see this line:

00:00:00.447635 PAE - Physical Address Extension = 0 (0)

which makes me think that you've not enabled PAE?
There's a warning in the CG about this:

The image contains a ‘686-pae’ kernel, so you must enable PAE within the virtual machine’s settings – click on System → Processor and select ‘Extended features: Enable PAE/NX’.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/lilydev#installing-lilydev-in-virtualbox

I remember that Virtual Box used to shout if PAE was not enabled. But the last time I checked it was some time ago.

Let me know if this helps.
Otherwise I may suggest another virtualization system, libvirt, that I use and know better than Virtual Box.