Re: Allow fixed spacing of symbols in church rests (issue 319910043 by a

From: david . nalesnik
Subject: Re: Allow fixed spacing of symbols in church rests (issue 319910043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 09:56:33 -0800

On 2016/12/30 16:59:55, Dan Eble wrote:
On 2016/12/29 17:47:46, david.nalesnik wrote:
> Please review.  Thanks!

I haven't reviewed the code, but the description makes me wonder, is
the current
behavior not a bug?  Gould says "In tradition engraving," which
appears to be
her term for the style using church rests, "a rest bar takes the space
the
graphic symbol needs ..." (Behind Bars, p.565).  Although she goes on
recommend against "tradition engraving," it seems that the bars should
be sized
to the rests, not the other way around.

Setting a default value for the property church-rest-inner-padding in
scm/define-grobs.scm would make rest sizes consistent.  Perhaps it would
be better to add an additional property, something like
"church-rest-size-to-measure," (default = #f) to turn the behavior on
and off?

Is it important to preserve the old algorithm at all?  If not, call it
a bug and
throw it out.  If it is important to preserve, could it be handled
with a
conversion rule so that your new algorithm can be the default?

I figured it would be best to keep the old behavior around.  I've never
read a complaint before Jan-Peter's, and Gould says nothing about the
layout of the rest itself that I see (other than that the width of the
symbols relative to a whole rest).

Would a conversion rule safely handle adding an override?

https://codereview.appspot.com/319910043/