Re: LilyDev 5.0 released

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: LilyDev 5.0 released
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 21:22:15 +0100

Il giorno mer 28 dic 2016 alle 21:29, Graham Percival <address@hidden> ha scritto:
On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 06:24:48PM +0100, Federico Bruni wrote:
 The default should be httpredir:
  httpredir.debian.org

Have you tried again? I hope that it's just a temporary network problem.

Yes, seems to have been temporary.  I tried it 3 times yesterday,
but now it's working.

Ok

I currently have an awkward problem with virtualbox on Ubuntu
16.04; it keeps on resizing the window one step smaller, until
it's something like 50 pixels high and 300 pixels wide.  This
doesn't happen if I maximize the window.  Very odd, and not unique
to lilydev; I see this when I virtualize ubuntu 16.04, but not
other operating systems.  Very odd.

I've just installed Virtual Box 5.1.10 from rpmfusion and it works fine.
You may try using a recent build, as suggested by James in this thread.

I've logged in, but it doesn't seem like like git-cl is installed?
The Contributor Guide says that it should be there:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/git_002dcl

Yes, a setup script was supposed to start at first login, but while upgrading LilyDev it stopped working. If you've followed the thread, this is now fixed.

In a similar note, could we get a Terminal icon on the taskbar?
Most people won't know that they can get an xterm by pressing
ctrl-alt-t.

Yes, I see that it's a matter of adding a few lines to ~/.config/lxqt/panel.conf (section [quicklaunch]).
I'll try to figure out what's the best way to add it in LilyDev.

In a related matter -- and please forgive me if we've discussed
this before -- have we considered distributing an exported OS?  In
the virtualbox GUI, this is called "Export Appliance", but it can
be done in a standard format so that (in theory) non-virtualbox
people can run it.  This would let people "get started" much
faster, and without the intimidation of installing Linux.  It
might also be easier to customize a bunch of things, such as
git-cl, and even putting a git clone of lilypond in there.

This is done already by a setup script, which you missed because LilyDev 5.0 was buggy.
But you can still run it manually:

cd ~
./.lilydev-setup.sh

In general, live-build allows to customize a bunch of things, see:
https://github.com/fedelibre/LilyDev/tree/master/config/includes.chroot/etc/skel

I realize that this would increase the filesize; it looks like
1.8 Gb for the exported appliance, compared to 1.1 GB for the
installer.

I remember that LilyPond developers were very concerned about the file size. And the installation process is very easy. It might be made even easier, I think, by letting the debian-installer skip some optional configuration (such as the proxy settings).

(speaking of disk size, I see that the just-installed size is
3.1G.  What's pushing it so high?  texlive?  I poked around a bit,
but I couldn't find any packages that looks superfulous... maybe
I'm just out of date with how large installed software is these
days.  I must admit that I'm shocked to see that my desktop /usr/
is 8.5G !)

Yes, it's texlive. It pulls a lot of dependencies, including doc packages IIRC. The system should be very basic, as live-build is configured to not install recommended packages.