Re: What is the point of \on-the-fly ?

From: Paul
Subject: Re: What is the point of \on-the-fly ?
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 13:59:13 -0400

On 06/13/2017 11:16 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

(define-markup-command bla)

does not define bla, but rather bla-markup, make-bla-markup and bits and
pieces used for signatures and the markup macro.

Even then, creating music functions on the fly _and_ using them requires
use of $(define-music-function ...) since #(define-music-function ...)
does not call the generated music function (would be hard assigning a
music function if it got called right away...).

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation.  (I need to brush up on my $ vs #.)

I actually just proposed an issue where you _can_ call markup functions
on the fly when defined properly.

Sounds good.  This is the $ one.

But the process of assigning a markup
command with all that it entails cannot be done in the same manner.

Since we can generate markup commands "on the fly" with \markup
... \etc, assigning them in a manner corresponding to
define-markup-command might be nice.

I suggested

\markup bla = ...

for it without being all too clear about whether this implied \markup
mode, allowing for

\markup bla = \bold \large \etc

rather than

\markup bla = \markup \bold \large \etc

There were no real comments (and I am fuzzy on the details of the
ensuing non-discussion as far as I remember it) so this proposal petered
out.

Hmm, I must have missed this, but sounds promising.

-Paul