Re: Using/requiring Cairo

From: karl
Subject: Re: Using/requiring Cairo
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:05:59 +0200 (CEST)

Werner:
> >> "taking care of PostScript" is not related to converting LilyPond's
> >> graphics internals to Cairo since LilyPond's graphics internals are
> >> not written in PostScript.
> >
> > Ok, forget it then, you are not listening.  [...]
>
> Why such a hostile tone, Karl?  There is no reason for this.

No, that is not a hostile tone, it's a tired tone.

> I have to agree with David: While having well readable PS is nice,
> this is just a by-product of the conversion process from a .ly to a
> .pdf file.  Essentially, the formatting of the PS stuff is of *no
> importance* to a vast majority of users.

I don't argue about that, save if you just want the ps file.

> > I use the PS as is, [...]
>
> So tell us what you are doing with the PS stuff.

Mostly the same thing you do with your pdf's, I guess, like
psnup, psselect, pstops, a patched version of psbook (so the paper
curves the right way when I fold them out of the printer),
includegraphics from latex, and probably some more. And my printers
doesn't take pdf.

> > And my interest was in reading pdf's, so I can write programs to
> > extract the info I want from pdf's.
>
> Have you tried `pdftk' to uncompress a PDF file?  It's then almost as
> readable as a plain PS file (see attachments).

No, it looks promising, thanks, now I have to find out how it does
that.

Though, my conclusion was that pdf is not better than ps regarding
postprocessing, and yes I know that pdf (depending on pdf version)
has some features that ps don't have.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data