Re: Using/requiring Cairo

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Using/requiring Cairo
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 14:38:13 +0200

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 2:05 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I would be much more supportive if you could show some numbers where
>> memory/CPU is used right now, and could show some data how much Cairo
>> would improve on things. It's quite possible that you are right, but
>> then it should be easy to come up with some supporting data.
>
> I'm at a loss here how to arrive at such data without doing the actual
> work.

Since the final page is a big stencil, I think you should be able to
count how much memory it consumes in cells and string literals. That
gives some ballpark estimate of how memory intensive the backend is.
Since grob typically constructs one stencil, I would be surprised that
the stencil machinery would use more memory than the whole property
list machinery (and hence: that it would make a big dent in memory
usage), but that's your gut feeling against mine, which is what I want
to get away from.