Re: make metronomeMarkFormatter more flexible (issue 327620043 by addres

From: dak
Subject: Re: make metronomeMarkFormatter more flexible (issue 327620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 00:29:16 -0700

On 2017/10/16 03:23:04, kieren_macmillan_sympatico.ca wrote:
Hi Harm (et al.),

> On the tracker I posted a more elaborated code.
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5215/#e472

Hmmm… That's not at *all* what I was hoping that would look like.

I was hoping it could be more like a custom bookTitleMarkup, by
leveraging
\fromproperty [warning: obviously pseudo-code, but close to an
interface that
would make sense to me]:

   metronome-mark-formatter = \markup {
     \concat {
       \fromproperty MetronomeMark.details.left-paren
       \hspace #0.25
       \note \fromproperty MetronomeMark.details.note
       \hspace #0.3 \fromproperty MetronomeMark.details.equal-sign
\hspace #0.3
       \fromproperty MetronomeMark.details.mm-range-begin "–"
\fromproperty
MetronomeMark.details.mm-range-end
       \fromproperty MetronomeMark.details.left-paren
     }
   }

Is nothing closer to that possible?

Well, for one thing you'd leave off "MetronomeMark." since you don't get
a choice of which grob you'll get.  For another, I don't think
`\fromproperty` does nested properties, but it might be reasonably easy
to teach it how to do them.  From a usability standpoint, I think this
proposal beats mine that was going to use a markup function with a
sequence of basically unnamed arguments.  Creating a markup is quite
more user-accessible terrain than creating a markup function, and this
way one does not need to look up argument order.

https://codereview.appspot.com/327620043/