Re: make metronomeMarkFormatter more flexible (issue 327620043 by addres

From: thomasmorley65
Subject: Re: make metronomeMarkFormatter more flexible (issue 327620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 13:03:08 -0700

On 2017/10/15 13:09:30, kieren_macmillan_sympatico.ca wrote:
Hi David,

> I think it's rather obvious that we won't get something that caters
for
> every format without actually giving the user the equivalent of
> providing a formatting function (in the form of a markup command):
even
> a format string requires a certain order of elements.
>
> We might provide a stock formatting function that consults the
details
> and thus can cater for the most common use cases.  But trying to
capture
> all is just going to make for an incomprehensible and complex
interface
> that still does not work for all use cases.

I'm so glad you said this! This is exactly what I suggested to Harm
(off-line),
and I think it's precisely the way to accomplish the best of all
possible
worlds.

On the tracker I posted a more elaborated code.
https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5215/#e472

https://codereview.appspot.com/327620043/