Re: LaissezVibrerTie and LaissezVibrerTieColumn

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: LaissezVibrerTie and LaissezVibrerTieColumn
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 20:37:11 +0200

>>> Is this appropiate?
>>
>> "cause" here is the actual tie event triggering the column.  I think
>> that it should rather be the first tie, making the
>> LaissezVibrerTieColumn a grob with ultimately identifiable cause but not
>> a directly caused grob.  Then it should be ignored by the
>> Parenthesis_engraver.  This would involve changing
>>
>>   SCM cause = tie_ev->self_scm ();
>>
>>   if (!lv_column_)
>>     lv_column_ = make_item ("LaissezVibrerTieColumn", cause);
>>
>>   Grob *lv_tie = make_item ("LaissezVibrerTie", cause);
>>
>> into
>>
>>   SCM cause = tie_ev->self_scm ();
>>
>>   Grob *lv_tie = make_item ("LaissezVibrerTie", cause);
>>
>>   if (!lv_column_)
>>     lv_column_ = make_item ("LaissezVibrerTieColumn", lv_tie->self_scm ());
>>
>> I don't think that it would be a problem to have the tie created before
>> its column.
>
> Tracker issue: 5222 (https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5222/)
> Rietveld issue: 331080043 (https://codereview.appspot.com/331080043)
> Issue description:
>   Stop \parenthesize\laissezVibrer causing programming errors
>
> I don't think I'd have an issue with fast-tracking this one once it
> passed the regtests.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

So how to proceed with 5220?
I'm confident I could adapt your change once it is in master and maybe
even prepare the engravers so that a follow up could implement the
idea of
https://codereview.appspot.com/335910043/#msg2
easily, though I'm not able to realize this idea myself.

Btw, why do we redefine LaissezVibrerTie-stencil in output-lib.scm?
The comment says:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;  laissez-vibrer tie
;;
;;  needed so we can make laissez-vibrer a pure print
;;
(define-public (laissez-vibrer::print grob)
  (ly:tie::print grob))

Is this (still) true or could it be deleted (and define-grobs.scm
adjusted, ofcourse)?

Cheers,
  Harm