Re: lilypond user manual in ps

From: William R. Brohinsky
Subject: Re: lilypond user manual in ps
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:27:04 -0400

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> You really shouldn't send these question to me privately,
> if you keep them on the list, you'll reach Jan and Han-Wen
> who do the bulk of the job and also others who have the same
> questions could see the followups. You may quote my answers
> below on the list if you wish.

My apologies, to Mats and the list. I had intended this to go to the
list, and for some reason, my mailer chose Mats name instead of the list
address earlier when I asked about the user manual.

I'll be more careful in the future.

My original has two >'s, Mats' kind responses have one:

> > OK, a slew of ignorant questions, then:
> >
> > This is the third version of the manual that I've downloaded from
> > otherwise identical pages, one 330K, one 339K and this one is 328K. Is
> > there any way to tell sites apart?
>
> Sure, at the bottom of each page you'll find a line with:
> This page was built from LilyPond-1.5.3 by ...
>
> > Why are there so many sites, how are they found, and again, how do you
> > associate them with different versions of Lilypond?
>
> I don't know which ones you've found. The only official ones
> I know of are www.lilypond.org for the development versions
> and the one at gnu.org for the stable.

I found three: one at
http://www.lilypond.org/development/Documentation/out-www/index.html#users,
labelled 1.5.3 at the bottom,
one at http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/lilypond-local/ marked
 LilyPond-1.5.7.hwn1
and the one Mats directed me to that had the `working' lilypond.ps:
http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/lilypond-local/ labelled 1.4.4. Now that I
see that, it makes more sense of things.

However, the setup.exe that I've downloaded a few times in the past
couple of weeks (especially since the mention that 1.4.7 was being
considered stable) was from
http://www.lilypond.org/development/Documentation/windows/out-www/installing.html
which is also labelled 1.5.3, and the latest version of lilypond which
it offers for installation is 1.4.5-1. (I hadn't noticed the 1.5.3 label
before Mats mentioned it, so while it had been an interesting thing to
me that 1.4.7 might be stable, 1.4.5-1 was the latest I could get.)

> > How do I get into the 1.5 versions? I am running 1.4.5 right now, which
> > is all the setup.exe gets. It would be nice to be at least into the
> > versions that put barlines at the end of staves, and maybe even
> > paradisical to be working completely within cygwin's python, without the
> > windows dependencies.
>
> I think 1.4.5 is worse than 1.4.4 because of the offset at the
> end of each stave. I hope Jan will build a Windows version of
> 1.4.7, the latest stable version. At the moment I don't recommend
> the 1.5.x series. The only main difference is the handling of
> grace notes and that's still too buggy to be really useful.
> Don't you get the new Python version now if you run setup.exe?

As said above, the new Python version doesn't appear in the list of
possible downloads from running setup.exe. I can only get a response
from http://lilypond.org's address, that says that I have 'nothing to
download'. If I click on Exp it says the same thing, while prev offers
lilypond 1.4.5-jcn1 (along with earlier editions of ash, bash, cygwin,
fileutils, gs, gsview, less, sh-utils and tar). So the only lilypond
versions available that I can see are 1.4.5-1 and 1.4.5jcn-1.