Re: help with installation

From: Michael J McGonagle
Subject: Re: help with installation
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:56:00 -0600

Laura Conrad wrote:

>     >> I tried this one and I ran 'rpm -i lilypond-1.4.2-1mdk.i586.rpm' got
> the
>     >> following:
>     >>
>     >> cannot open Packages index using db3 - Permission denied (13)
>
>     Jan> Hmm, so it seems that your system is stuck half way some rpm upgrade?
>     Jan> RPM has been upgraded, but not the database?
>
>     Jan> I don't know much about this (I'm running Debian), but you may want
>     Jan> be very careful with your package database, make a backup first.
>
> I had exactly this problem on Mandrake 8.0, and never figured out a
> way to solve it except for reinstalling (I couldn't update) with 8.1.
> This turns out to have been a mistake; there are serious problems with
> the printing system in 8.1, so if I were you I'd either do the 8.2
> beta, or wait until 8.2 comes out officially.  I seem to have fixed my
> problems with the printing by installing some RPMS (the actual list
> you need is at http://mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=1485) from the
> 8.2 beta3 distribution.

I still think if I am going to change/upgrade my distribution, I will
move to Debian. Anyway, I will see if I can get all of guile installed,
and try the sources again. I think that if this problem is caused by
some part of guile that Lilypond needs, then upgrading to 8.1 might not
be necessary.

>     Jan> Oops.  And is your database still ok?  Maybe some Red Hat user on
> this
>     Jan> list knows about your problem (or maybe google knows)?
>
> Mine certainly wasn't.  I did the reinstall when I stopped being able
> to do rpm even for simple things.  I think that version of urpmi or
> the GUI that went with it was seriously bad.

Quite frankly, I have never been able to do anything with 'rpm' except
view the contents of an archive, or possible unpack it, but I have never
been able to install any rpm packages. I don't know if this problem is
inherent to Mandrake 8.0 or what, but that is my gut feeling...