Font Troubles

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Font Troubles
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 15:11:49 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> I downloaded and tried to install some more fonts, but the accompanying
> README.txt file explained only where to point certain files from the
> following archives:
>
>       fetatype1-1_4_10.tgz
>       fetatype1common.tgz
>
> I managed to find feta16.pfa and friends floating around the Internet,
> and "installed" them into:

There is no need for that. They should be under
/usr/share/lilypond/pfa/

> But my installation was simply "copy and rename".  However, after doing
> so, Ghostscript stopped complaining that it couldn't find "feta16".
> Something tells me this is not a happy thing to do.

Can you send the output of

    set|grep GS

It should say something along the lines of

    GS_FONT_PATH=".....:/usr/share/lilypond/pfa/:..."

> Please find attached a ZIP file containing the LY file I'm using, the PS
> file I produced, and a screen shot of the not-quite-beautiful resulting
> grandstaff.  If it means anything, the midi file Lilypond creates sounds
> great!

Like Jan said, the proper route for PS output is using ly2dvi -P, or
if you want scalable fonts in the ps, or nice pdf

   ly2dvi foo.ly
   dvips -u lilypond.map -P pdf -o foo.ps foo.dvi
   ps2pdf foo.ps foo.pdf