Strange clef

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Strange clef
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 01:14:10 +0200

Hi,

I am typesetting some Italian instrumental works from around the 1750s, and
found something that looks and behaves like a clef, but I have never seen
anything like it before and it is not in Lilypond's set of glyphs. Does
anyone have a clue about what it could be?

In ASCII art, it looks something like:

 | | |
-+-+-+--\
 | | |   \

where the #-ish thing in the upper-left corner looks quite much like a sharp
sign and vertically is placed where the sharp for eis would be in bass clef
(ie. between the second and third line from the top)

It is used in Basso Continuo parts, when the pitch is relatively high.

Erik