Re: tab

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: tab
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:54:27 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> > number is encoded in the fingering number, i.e.
> >
> >        c4-3
> >
> > will put a fingering  3 on the note in normal staff,  but put the note
> > on string 3 on the tab staff (whereever that is).
> >
> > The current proposition is to use pitch names for indicating strings
> > and continue the use of numbers for fingerings, i.e.
> >
> >     c4-3-a
> >
> > play with 3rd finger, on string known as "a".
>
> I see.  Use :3 or ;3 for the string, or some other
> separator that is available to you.  Continue

that's a problem. We already use a lot of separators, and the more we
use them, the less readable/typable the syntax will be, and the harder
it will be to preprocess input with, say m4.  Also, all other
indications already use '-', i.e. -\f -\fermata , and even -( is
allowed, iirc.

`:' is already used for unmeasured tremolo, btw.  Still available are
$&@=`\;/

I propose that / or \ be used

        c4-3\5
        c4-3/5

for 3rd finger, fifth string.

Original proposal: use letters for strings, i.e.

      c4-3-f

or pitches

      c4-3-g

Anyone else for suggestions?

> I do a *lot* of fingering, and I have always
> avoided -3 for 'default' fingering, even on a single staff,
> which is the only way it works at all.
>
> To use another separator to put a finger in front
> of a note and use a `-' for something entirely
> different is painting yourself into a corner.
>
> Unless you have some plan to *never* allow
> a finger number in front of a note.  Not
> a good plan.

Fingerings should be done more automatically anyway; I think that most
assignments of fingering positions, especially in the 1-staff case,
can be computed automatically. I don't want to kludge on more weird
syntax (eg.  left and right fingerings).

> And please consider this user syntax for setting up tab:

No,  I won't. We have perfectly nice generic \property statements
for such  things.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen