Re: \key

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: \key
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 11:53:14 +0200

Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:

> It would be quite logical if there were an equal probability of notes
> in a composition being in or out of the  current key.

Maybe it's a language question.  In Dutch, the name of an f-sharp is a
fis; it's quite unnatural (an uncommon) to refer to an f-sharp as 'f',
regardless of what key it's in.

> Even though it's not exactly comparing apples to apples, in Finale the
> entered notes are automatically in the current key and extra clicking
> raises or lowers the pitch.  In my example I would type 'f' plus some
> modifier to get f natural or f double sharp.

Ah.  Are you certain that, if you think about it, you are not
confusing `quite logical' with `more like Finale happens to do it'?

It may indeed be a bit apples and oranges, in LilyPond (or text entry,
ftm), you have to name a note.  Then, it's not logical to use give a
wrong name.  If you select a note in a GUI program, it's logical for
the program to suggest the most probable one.

I think we used to have a special entry mode for this, called it
`viola mode' (I don't know the key we're in, but the sheet music I'm
copying from says `f' at this point, not `#f' :-), but I can't seem to
find it anymore.

> p.s. I am getting two copies of everything from this thread.  The
> first one of each pair lacks the last three identification lines.

You shoud set your Mail-Followup-To: header.

Jan.