Re: Lyrics spacing with lilypond 1.6.4

From: Alois Steindl
Subject: Re: Lyrics spacing with lilypond 1.6.4
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:52:05 +0200

Hello,
thanks quite a lot for your answer!
Unfortunately I did send an out-of-phase input file (I experimented with different settings). Now I rerun the example at home with the final block

\score {
        \simultaneous {
          \addlyrics
             \context Staff = mel
             {
                \melody }
             \context Lyrics \text
        }
                          \midi  { \tempo 4=120}
        \paper { papersize = "a4"  }
}

and obtained just one line with several overlaps in the text.

An additional question: The midi output doesn't seem to produce any sound when played with Winamp on Win2000. What might be the reason?

Best regards
Alois

PS.: I append the complete song for reference; hope that I don't waste too much bandwidth:

\header {
        title = "Der schlafende Apfel "
        tagline = " "
}
\paper{ papersize = "a4" }
\include "paper20.ly"
\include "deutsch.ly"
melody = \notes
        \relative c'' {
        \property Score.midiInstrument = "alto sax"
        \property Score.midiInstrument = "banjo"
        \key g \major
        \time 2/4
        d8 d e e | d4 h | c8 c a a |
        g2
        | d'8 d e e | d d h4 | c8 c a a | g2
 \bar "|."
}

text = \lyrics < {
            \context LyricsVoice = "Soprano-1"
            \property LyricsVoice .stanza = "1:"
            \property LyricsVoice .stz = "(1)"
Lie- ber, lie- ber Ap- fel, bist so schön und
rund und die Mut- ter hat ge- sagt, Äp- fel sind ge -- sund.
}
{
            \context LyricsVoice = "Soprano-2"
            \property LyricsVoice .stanza = "2:"
            \property LyricsVoice .stz = "(2)"
Lie- ber, lie- ber Ap- fel, spring doch gleich vom Baum!
Schau, ich halt die Schür- ze schon un- ten an dem Saum.
}

\score {
        \simultaneous {
          \addlyrics
             \context Staff = mel
             {
                \melody }
             \context Lyrics \text
        }
                          \midi  { \tempo 4=120}
        \paper { papersize = "a4"  }
}

Jan Nieuwenhuizen schrieb:
Alois Steindl <address@hidden> writes:

this week I tried the cygwin port of the new version 1.6.4 with a
little song.  Since the letters of the lyrics overlap each other, I
assume that I have to set some flag to change the spacing rule (from
note-length proportional to (maximum) word-width).  Is there any
flag for archieving sufficient space (except placing many breaks,
which the yields very large space for long notes with short text)?

\header {
%        title = "Der schlafende Apfel "
        tagline = " "
}

This file should work fine, as long as you uncomment your paper
block:

                         \midi  { \tempo 4=120}
%        \paper { linewidth = 13.0 \cm }
}

like so:

          \paper { linewidth = 13.0 \cm }
  }

I suspect that you have been looking at previous versions, because
the file you sent doesn't generate paper output.
Jan.