Re: drum notes

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: drum notes
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:03:04 +0100

Joerg Anders wrote:

I'm about to improve the NoteEdit drum notes export.

The lilypond drum notation is currently not working properly in 1.7.
When I get time and energy ( :-( ) I will make some better drum support.
I don't think that you should spend much energy in supporting the current (1.6) drum system as it will probably not keep on working. As I said: It does not work in 1.7.

To comprehend the system I wrote the following "crash test:

  \include "paper16.ly"

  \include "drumpitch-init.ly"

  drh = \notes { \clef "percussion"
bda4 bd ssh ss | ssl sna sn hc | sne tomfl hhc hh | tomfh hhp toml hho | hhho tomml tommh cymca | cymc tomh cymra cymr | cymch rb tamb cyms | cb cymcb vibs cymrb | bohm boh boho bolm | bol bolo cghm cglm | cgho cgh cglo cgl | timh timl agh agl | cab mar whs whl | guis guil gui cl | wbh wbl cuim cuio | trim tri trio ua | ub uc ud ue | da db dc dd | de r r r
        \bar "|."
  }

  \score {
    \context Staff=drumst \notes <
      \apply #(drums->paper 'drums) <
        \context Voice=voa {\stemUp \drh }

  }

During "ly2dvi" a get a lot of messages of this kind:

  warning: lily-guile: Kit `drums' doesn't contain drum `triangle'
  See lily/drumpitch.ly for supported drums.
  warning: lily-guile: Kit `drums' doesn't contain drum `opentriangle'
  See lily/drumpitch.ly for supported drums.
  warning: lily-guile: Kit `drums' doesn't contain drum `oneup'

And only a few notes have special drum heads.
But I consulted "drumpitch.ly". The "bda bd ssh ss ..." words are

This is the expected result. The 'drums kit is for typesetting a normal drum kit - and percussion instruments (like the triangle) not present on a typical drum kit will not be typeset normally.

The transposing pitches (from ua in the above) are NOT drums - they should only be entered as arguments to transpose-like commands.

-Rune