Re: how to include various ascii characters (like: !) in the text?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: how to include various ascii characters (like: !) in the text?
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:57:51 -0400

On Monday 16 June 2003 11:31 pm, ario wrote:
> If I include a '!' in the lyrics, lilypond complains.
> I tried using typing "!", and '!' but none works.
> I need this feature to use the complete Cyrillic character set.
> Does anybody know how to include all ascii characters?
> Having to input the ascii numbering would do too for me.
>
> thanks,
> arie - very happy with the Lilypond results until now...

You have \include "english.ly"?  "!" is not supposed to be a special
character in English, but perhaps in Dutch it is.  Otherwise, you have
found a bug to report.  Try "\\!" and "\!" .  Thanks for the question,
because if "$\\!$" gives a bit of negative space I'll be very glad I
looked it up in ``The Not So Short Introduction to \latex 2\epsilon''.
With math mode, "\!" should give you some negative space in text, and
that should be very handy for us if it works.

Ascii is probably not going to happen, but see 3.10 and 5.4 in your
downloaded and printed copy of "The Not So Short Intro..." and I think
you'll be pretty happy.  DaveA

--
The biggest losers of all are the winners of an unjust war.
The wars are not over.  Just the winning part is over.